Gather Sewing Retreats
The Gather Summer Sewing Retreat! Two full days of sewing with expert tuition, at the spectacular New Lanark Mill Hotel, Scotland.
8/9th September 2023 - 2 SPACES AVAILABLE!
3/4th November 2023 - SOLD OUT
12/13th January 2024 -SOLD OUT
Tickets are available via...
About this event:
The first of our autumn Gather Sewing Retreats will take place on 8th and 9th September 2023 at New Lanark Mills, a spa hotel in the heart of a beautifully restored 18th Century cotton mill village, 1 hour from both Edinburgh and Glasgow. Your hosts Victoria Nutt and Jen Hogg will be on hand to guide you through your chosen projects for two days of sewing, chat, and lots of laughs along the way. This is an opportunity to stay and sew in a Unesco World Heritage Site fundamental to Scotland's rich textile history.
Including: Arrival pastries, lunch, three course dinner menu, and on day two, breakfast and afternoon tea. Plus tea, coffee and sweet treats throughout and a luxury sewing goody bag.
The Sewing room is situated in one of the historic mills, with tall windows looking out onto the Clyde and the forests beyond. We have 2 tutors (Jen & Victoria) with a maximum of 12 guests.
Day 1: Arrive for 9.30am for tea, coffee and pastries. Sewing all morning until1.00pm. Following lunch in the hotel restaurant we will head back to the sewing room for our afternoon session.
We'll meet for a glass of Prosecco at 6.30pm in the hotel bar. A full three course dinner menu and drinks will be served from 7pm giving you time to enjoy the fabulous spa facilities and New Lanark village beforehand.
Day 2: After breakfast on day 2 we will head back to the sewing room. Afternoon tea will be served in the restaurant at 1pm followed by our final sewing session, departing at 4.00pm.
Jen and Victoria will run mini masterclasses through out the retreat, tailored to the groups chosen projects.
What you need to bring:
- Your sewing project(s), including any patterns, fabric etc
- Sewing kit
- Sewing Machine
Overlockers and a cover stitch machine will be available and if you can't bring your own sewing machine, you can hire one for a small charge of £20 for the two days.
You will be invited to a zoom meeting in advance of the retreat, so we can all meet virtually and chat about what you are planning to sew.
About Jen and Victoria:
Jen and Victoria have run many workshops together as well as having their own successful small sewing businesses.
Jen designs and sells her unique range of Jenerates sewing tools and notions all over the world - you might recognise her from the Great British Sewing Bee (Series 5 semi-finalist)!
Victoria years of experience as a dressmaking tutor and owns Little Rosy Cheeks selling inspiring sewing labels, with children's sewing patterns coming soon.
New Lanark Hotel sits at the heart of the spectacular 18th Century cotton mill village of New Lanark. The village and mills were run by Robert Owen, a socialist keen to support worker welfare and education. He described his work at New Lanark as “the most important experiment for the happiness of the human race that has yet been instituted in any part of the world”.
The village has been fully restored and is home to 65 houses, as well as a working mill and award-winning visitor centre and museum. You'll find traditionally produced organic wool, spun and sold on site, ice cream made to a traditional recipe - the village even produces its own hydro-electricity. And if that's not enough, there's a full spa, and the largest roof garden in Scotland! All profits, including from the hotel, go to the New Lanark charitable trust.
New Lanark became a World Heritage Site in 2001 - one of only 6 in Scotland. It sits close to the spectacular Falls of Clyde, amid elegant forests. It can be reached within an hour from both Glasgow and Edinburgh, and there is a train station nearby in Lanark. If you want to add on an extra night or two, please let the hotel know you're coming to the retreat for their best rates.
The sewing room is fully accessible. Bedrooms with fully accessible bathrooms are available on request.
Terms & Conditions:
1. Buying a ticket on Eventbrite covers your deposit for the retreat and secures your place
2. The total price of the retreat is £515 including all food, overnight stay (single-occupancy room), welcome drinks before dinner and wine at the dinner table, use of the hotel’s regular guest facilities including the spa, use of the sewing room plus the tutors’ time and expertise. You can read more about the hotel at www.newlanarkhotel.co.uk.
3. The balance of £320 will be due by 5 weeks before the event at the latest. We’ll email you an invoice for this.
4. We will have exclusive use of the sewing room for the duration of the event so your sewing projects don’t need to be packed up overnight
5. We’re restricting the number of tickets to 12 to make sure you have plenty of space and time with the tutors. This retreat is aimed at garment makers with all levels of experience, except absolute beginners (Follow us for classes for newbies!).
6. The organisers unconditionally reserve the right to cancel the event due to insufficient ticket sales or if the event cannot proceed for any other reason. Such cancellation will take place at least 4 weeks before the scheduled start of the event and full refunds will be issued to all ticket holders.
7. We hope you don’t have to cancel, but if you do:-
• Cancel more than 5 weeks before the event for a full refund less £45 admin fee (to cover Eventbrite and hotel fees)
• No refunds for cancellation less than 5 weeks before the event but we will do our very best to re-sell your space, in which case we’ll be able to give you a full refund less £45 admin fee. Alternatively, we’re happy for you to transfer your place to a friend.
If you have any questions at all please contact us at email@example.com